Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Building a Diorama - Part #8 - An Interlude

An Interlude:
For those of you who have been following this Blog it may be time to press the pause button and look back a bit to Part #2 - Finding Your Setting.  For newbes, that little tirade about change will expose you to an insight into how I approach things, consistently procrastinate until you explode with 'whatever.'  Another insight might come with my blog of June 16, 2011, Who Am I?

I guess a better title would have been "The Lull Before The Storm."  I might be described as an enigma, not exactly what I seem to be.  The cool, confidant, intelligent individual is not exactly who I am.  I grew up with change, 12 addresses by high school graduation.  I have lived my adult life with change, 50 more addresses and 35 jobs of several descriptions.  I have never been settled long enough to have a permanent layout, never learned to get "really" organized, never really learned to make close friends.  At best you could say I live in the present and the past, my future is unknown, sort of a "Doctor Who" type of person.

So back to modeling.  I like to experiment by doing things a different way, yet one of my favorite sayings is "Don't reinvent the wheel!"  That is why this Blog was started, using foam-core board, because the model railroad community consensus was that the material was unsuitable for model railroad construction.  What a challenge!  If you have sauntered off to other model railroad sites you may notice that I am not a "really, really" good modeler.  I believe in caricature, point out the obvious - if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.  Therefore, if it has engines and cars like a railroad, and moves around scenes like a railroad, it is a railroad!  The funny thing is, most people agree with me, maybe not most 'real' model railroaders, most people.  What I am trying to achieve is a step up from a bare plywood board and helping a modeler who may feel all alone in the wilderness.  I want the modeler to gain the confidence to build a little layout, add some track and scenery, run some trains and impress your friends (and yourself) who thought you could never do all that.  So with this in mind let us go into the holy of holy's, the layout, and rent the scenery in two and change the scene.  On to Part #9 - CHANGE!

No comments:

Post a Comment