Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Building a Diorama - Part #2 - Finding YOUR Setting

My original diorama was set in Southwest Arizona, low elevation dry desert and bare rocky mountains.  Sage, cacti, sand and rock provided a dusty, arid local for my efforts.  Since I was using materials that were new to me I proceeded to build my example through it's first, simple version before showing it to the newer modelers at the club.

Over the next several meetings I progressed, adding more color, ground cover, texture and rocky areas.   It was at this point that I sensed a collective feeling of fear, a fear that maybe they couldn't do as well and that they might be dissatisfied with their results.  New modelers seem to think that what they see on a layout is the outcome of months of thought and lots of effort by skilled people.  They fail to grasp the idea that a layout is often an ongoing expression of an incomplete vision, the vision may change, skills are learned and mistakes are made.

In desperation I grabbed my scissors and to their shock violently stabbed them through the center of the diorama and ripped the scenery from top to bottom, almost yelling at them, "Don't be afraid to make a mistake or change your mind.  See, change is easy, just do it!"  The next week I arrived with a ravine spanned by a wooden trestle, an almost dry stream trickling below.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to select a location that interests you, mountains, farmland, desert, seashore, prairie, forest, whatever lights your fire.  Think of a place that would be a great setting for your models, whether trains, cars, boats or buildings.

Now go out and buy several sheets of foam core board, some plaster cloth, lightweight spackling, glue and the several tools you might not have in your toolbox.  See the several previous parts #1a, b, c for what I used and hurry back.  We are going to Build a Diorama.

1 comment:

  1. I love it. I can hear you "almost yelling" all of that. Perfect - sometimes you've got to shake things up!

    ReplyDelete