Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Me and Model Railroading

I guess I don't rank very well with real model railroad modelers.  I don't have a favorite road, or era, location or scale.  I do like to see favorite engines or trains, UP Big Boys, ATSF PA & PB War Bonnets, CB&Q Pioneer Zephyrs and others.  I am not into fine scale modeling and I like to collect some things I can't run, UP Big Boys.  I do like steam engines, billboard refers, ore cars, colorful trains of all kinds and have some engines that never ran on the road painted on the tender.
Our little club, Rail Roadrunners of Yuma, doesn't have a layout of our own so we setup our portable layouts where invited and able.  Most people who view our trains are not too sharp on prototype so enjoy seeing a variety of trains, Red ones, Holiday ones, Freight ones, Passenger ones, Old ones, New ones--I think you get it.  My fellow club founder, Marvin, will be disgusted when, not if, I get Thomas the Tank Engine.  Marvin is Pennsylvania, PRR, through and through, knows diesels beyond 4 axle or 6 axle, and steamers by builder and railroad.  Me, I like trains.  If I see something I like, or think is different, -- or even "cute", -- I might buy it if it is cheap.  Marvin likes Homosote and I like extruded foam with cork.  Marvin is N scale and I am HO.  One thing we are together on is that we are both sarcastic and grate on each other.  Oh, Marvin is a Democrat and I am a Republican.  We suffer together for the sake of the group and even work at the same place 2 or 3 days a week.
I know I had an idea in mind when I started typing, but old age and time have stolen it from me.  I guess the theme would be that model railroading can be almost anything you want it to be and we can still be friends even if our desires are different.

"Suffer your elders their ramblings as their fate will soon enough be yours."  WOW 101:1

Armchair

No comments:

Post a Comment