Wednesday, July 11, 2012

You Can Build My First and Smallest Diorama

I thought I would break away from the 5'x10' Layout Build Clinic Thread with something a bit smaller, 4-1/2 x 9, ......INCHES!

I started this scratch built log cabin some years ago on a small table at a street fair that Marvin and I attended, buying the last booth for $50, to introduce our proposed & un-named model railroad club to the Yuma community and Winter visitors.


I also use it to debunk the theory that model railroading is expensive.  I invested $1.39 in 1/8" dowel sticks and spent an enjoyable (and FUN) 20 or 30 hours completing it.  Like most of my projects I built it to learn new skills and try out new techniques; build a stone chimney and well using sand, hand cutting shingles from manila folders, modeling very small details like the wood pile, chopping block and ax (now missing the ax).  The well also lost its roof somewhere along the line.  The outhouse is a card model one holler downloaded from a free internet site.

I started the build with corrugated cardboard walls to give the logs something to line up with and glue to.  That framework was edge glued to a piece of cereal box that warped while doing the ground cover and thus stapled to the wood block.  The engineer in me measured and cut all the logs before starting the build so all I had to do was pick up the appropriate length log and work around the walls.  I used diagonal cutters to cut all the logs and give a more chopped appearance.

Front view

Those with sharp eyes will now notice that the logs are not notched and therefore only every-other log end goes through.  The door frame is lined with thin wood stock (no pun, I didn't go) to help align the logs.  The logs on either side of the door are of 2 different lengths, a short one to butt into the mating wall logs and a longer one to extend beyond the other wall to make it look like a log cabin.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.  Sorry rivet counters, but I take my lead from the live theater - caricature.

Right side

This right side view shows the only window in the house.  It is a 2 over 2 with the frame lined like the door.  On the left is the stone well missing the roof and one roof support post.  The well was formed by rolling paper around a 3/8" dowel several times and glued.  When dry, I coated the outside with glue and rolled it in some sand until covered and allowed to dry.  Then I glued two 1/16" square stock x 1" long to opposite inside walls.  An upper cross piece connected the tow uprights and a folded piece of card stock completed the roof.  By the way, all the wood items were distressed and stained prior to the build.  The red rock on the right rear is just there, something to look at.  It was found in the sand i collected for the well and chimney.

Rear view
The back of the cabin is plain, no openings.  It would maybe make a place to store junk and unused items in among some weeks.  If there would be a garden I would put it on the right side near the well, close to the water source.  The outhouse is on the opposite side of the house from the well, just cause that is how I would do it.

Left side


The door is open to the outhouse simply to show the inside.  My relation always kept theirs closed with a hook or large twist knob.  There is a lot of detail on this side, the outhouse, stone fireplace and chimney and wood pile.  I chose to show some wood stacked and ready to use while chips and kindling was scattered about.  The silver, single blade ax was shown set in the chopping block like I would imagine it to be.  Like all tiny details, these things get knocked off with handling.

The fireplace and chimney was formed with three 1/8" square wood, one tall one forming the chimney and two shorter ones, with the top edged tapered, glued to either side to form the fireplace section.  When dry, I coated the outside and side surfaces with glue and pushed it into the sand supply left over from the well.  The chimney is centered on the wall and simply glued to the log wall.  Missing stones were placed with tweezers and glued.

The roof is supported with a ridge pole running the length of the cabin.  In future builds I would add a couple of support poles from the ridge to the front and rear walls to prevent the roof sag that seems to have occurred over the years.  If you look carefully at the roof line you will see a board right below the roof and covering the log ends that I didn't trim very well.

The shingle details will have to wait for another day as it gets long winded without needed pictures.  If you are building this and really need shingling information get to me.

Armchair

1 comment:

  1. I really like the idea of sand to imitate stone structures. The woodpile and outhouse add a really lived-in look. I like it!

    ReplyDelete